JLOF - Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net

Welcome to the Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net forums!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles, and access to our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, access to the Media Center forums after your first few posts, the ability to earn 'points' and spend them, and access to many other special features and benefits! Registration is fast, simple, and free so join #1 largest Jennifer Lopez community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support and we'll get back to you.

Go Back   JLOF - Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net > Jennifer Lopez > Jennifer Lopez Discussion
Blogs Rules/FAQs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
jlo-fangirl
Gold Fan

Female

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 27,160.36
Donate
Jennifer Lopez Fires Back At 'El Cantante' Critics

LOS ANGELES, Calf. (August 6, 2007) – Jennifer Lopez has heard the criticism of her new film "El Cantante," in which she stars with husband Marc Anthony.

But apparently, she's heard just about enough as J.Lo is now firing back at her critics.

"I don't know what movie they want to see, because this is the truth," Lopez told reporters during the film's Hollywood premiere.

"El Cantante" follows the rise and fall of salsa legend Hector Lavoe (played by Anthony). Lopez plays his wife Puchi Perez.

And while fans and critics alike are blasting the project, which opened Friday after nearly six years of production, the harshest comments may be coming from those who knew Lavoe best.

According to an article in the LA Times, after the film's premiere in Puerto Rico, salsa singer Ismael Miranda, a Lavoe contemporary who actually plays his father in "El Cantante," slammed the film for focusing too much on the artist's drug abuse, which eventually led to his death from AIDS complications.

Lavoe's former bandleader, partner and producer Willie Colon, who also served as a consultant on the film headed online to express his disappointment.

"The creators of 'El Cantante' missed an opportunity to do something of relevance for our community," Colón wrote in a Yahoo.com forum. "The real story was about Hector fighting the obstacles of a nonsupportive industry that took advantage of entertainers with his charisma and talent. Instead they did another movie about two Puerto Rican junkies… It's difficult to comprehend how two individuals who are in the music business like Marc and Jennifer are not aware of the damage and the consequences of promoting only the negative side of our Latin music culture."

If that's not enough, Colon later said it was Lopez's character, Puchi, who led to Lavoe's demise and for the film to focus on that relationship was a disgrace to the Latin legend.

"I believe that Puchi actually caused Hector's downfall," Colón said. "I never understood why he put up with such a negative, homely, vulgar person. The biggest crime is the canonization of Puchi so that Jennifer can play her."

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah6355.shtml
jlo-fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
rucci
I love Jlo NOT you

Bank: 45,505.04
Total Points: 82,827.87
Donate
Thanked 1,578 Times in 236 Posts
This is so true. If Willy Colon and everyone else wanted a film on him, then THEY should have done it. This was one way the story could have been told. In the end the core thing is the same, and thats Hector, the culture, and the music. This was the script that puchi presented for Jennifer. Willy didnt bring her or script. And no one else tried to make the movie but Jennifer. So instead of bitching and complaining they should be happy that it was done and that she brought his name and music to a wider audience. Or than can just make one themselves.
But of course the band would want more focus on the music and not the other thing, cus that means more camera time and focus on them in the movie, right? (makes u think)

Last edited by rucci : 08-07-2007 at 03:53 PM.
rucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
mamacita
Gold Fan

Female

Bank: 1,470.67
Total Points: 11,686.36
Donate
sorry i think this is a repost
Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
u_heart_heather
Fanatic Fan

Female

Total Points: 1,827.16
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucci View Post
This is so true. If Willy Colon and everyone else wanted a film on him, then THEY should have done it. This was one way the story could have been told. In the end the core thing is the same, and thats Hector, the culture, and the music. This was the script that puchi presented for Jennifer. Willy didnt bring her or script. And no one else tried to make the movie but Jennifer. So instead of bitching and complaining they should be happy that it was done and that she brought his name and music to a wider audience. Or than can just make one themselves.
thank you! exactly what i was thinking

puchi (played by j.lo, duh) even says at the beginning of the movie (in a scene where theyre interviewing her for the film) to the interviewer that she's going to tell them her side of the story and if they wanted somebody else's side, they should have interviewed them
u_heart_heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
kira
The Artist

Female

Bank: 344,778.02
Total Points: 369,229.57
Donate
I soo agree with both of you
kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
No Doubt
Lovefool

Male

Bank: 254,315.89
Total Points: 271,186.81
Donate
They're just pissed off that the movie depicts a lot of them as the drug addicts that they are. Also, the drugs were a huge part of his life, if it wasn't for drugs he wouldn't have gotten AIDS and died. I could understand not focusing on the drugs as much if they were able to overcome them, but he didn't. From what I've read most people who hate the movie because of the way Hector is shown is because they don't want to accept that drugs were that big of a force in his life. Theres also the fact that his wife is the one who made the script, and I'm sure she knew way more of the truth then anyone else.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Anjlo24
A~tO~tHe~Lo

Male

Total Points: 34,575.99
Donate
I dont even have to add much of anything to this cause everyone took the words right out of my mouth
Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
El Diablo
Sayanora, Suckaz!!!!

Bank: 135,906.91
Total Points: 149,751.31
Donate
Thanked 1,433 Times in 953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Doubt View Post
They're just pissed off that the movie depicts a lot of them as the drug addicts that they are. Also, the drugs were a huge part of his life, if it wasn't for drugs he wouldn't have gotten AIDS and died. I could understand not focusing on the drugs as much if they were able to overcome them, but he didn't. From what I've read most people who hate the movie because of the way Hector is shown is because they don't want to accept that drugs were that big of a force in his life. Theres also the fact that his wife is the one who made the script, and I'm sure she knew way more of the truth then anyone else.
Amen. Well said. The truth hurts, don't it?

El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
---Ariyana ---
i am unstopable!

Female

Bank: 31,019.08
Total Points: 42,860.13
Donate
jus dont listen 2 critics ,go n watch the thing!

---Ariyana --- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
dipset

Bank: 0
Total Points: 0
Donate
Quote:
But of course the band would want more focus on the music and not the other thing, cus that means more camera time and focus on them in the movie, right? (makes u think)
but puchi wasn't a positive influence in hector's life. This was a one-sided movie. Instead of explaining the life of Hector Lavoe it was more like explaining hector lavoe through the eyes of a woman who was seen as unfit. Any biopic is seen through not just 1 person but many. Thats why producers and directors do research and do interviews of the people who they're doing biopics on rather than just from 1 script given to them.

look how people on this forum are already saying that hector was a coke addict and didnt take care of his kids. this is being said by the same woman who kept him from seeing his first son. plus in the movie they are both drug addicts yet puchi yells at hector for being a drug addict.....does that make any sense?? have you ever seen 2 crackheads calling each other crack heads?? it's pretty obvious she fabricated the story. any fan of hector lavoe would've known about Nilda and her craziness and the bad things people said about her and the fact that she left hector when he was dying. I wasn't a fan but I knew some stuff about him because i'm originally from BKNY. so for jennifer to go say "i don't see the big deal, its the truth" makes her seem very ignorant.

take the movie ray for example..........the movie dealt with his battle with drugs but it wasn't what the movie was all about. Ray was represented as a great musician who stood up for what he believed in and didnt let him being blind stop him from advancing in life.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
rucci
I love Jlo NOT you

Bank: 45,505.04
Total Points: 82,827.87
Donate
Thanked 1,578 Times in 236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipset View Post
but puchi wasn't a positive influence in hector's life. This was a one-sided movie. Instead of explaining the life of Hector Lavoe it was more like explaining hector lavoe through the eyes of a woman who was seen as unfit.
ok here we go now, read this as though I were saying it nice and slow (for all the slow people) WE KNOW, YES THIS IS ONE SIDE OF A STORY TOLD THROUGH PUCHI'S SIDE.
ok did we all catch that now. someone's life can be told in many different ways THIS WAS ONE OF THEM.

rucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
dipset

Bank: 0
Total Points: 0
Donate
Quote:
ok here we go now, read this as though I were saying it nice and slow (for all the slow people) WE KNOW, YES THIS IS ONE SIDE OF A STORY TOLD THROUGH PUCHI'S SIDE.
ok did we all catch that now. someone's life can be told in many different ways THIS WAS ONE OF THEM.
the movie was supposed to be about the life of hector lavoe and his contributions to the salsa movement in america which were the exact words which came out of jennifer lopez's and marc anthonys mouths.

this movie didn't do that. if you want to touch on someones life you dont take 1 story. and as i said before..................jennifer said this is the truth. how do we know what was said in the movie was the truth if it is being told through the yes of 1 person. she failed at what she was trying to perceive. all biopics require research. all of them. jennifer never acknowledged that the movie was through the eyes of Nilda except for a few times but made it seem irrelevant.

if you say the movie is supposed to touch on someones life then make sure it touches on someones life to the fullest. the movie wasn't called "hector lavoe: the dark side you never saw" or some sh*t like that or any reference to whom was telling the story. a lot of people do not know that this movie is from Nilda and thats where the confusion takes place.

so defend her all you want but fact remains is she failed to represent who hector lavoe was. and for the slow people who don't understand that you're as ignorant as jennifer lopez.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
goldenboy94560
im still from the block

Male

Bank: 27,447.91
Total Points: 45,588.68
Donate
fuck those critics,lets just support the movie
goldenboy94560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #14
stillaround1
Fanatic Fan

Total Points: 2,186.35
Donate
i agree with all of you people except dipset lol....however the movie came out ...we now know who Hector Lavoe was and the movie is good
stillaround1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 AM   #15
DMX36
Platinum Fan

Bank: 0.04
Total Points: 5,236.30
Donate
Quote:
yeah i agreed with you, What i don't understand is that people always do this to her i mean no one should be saying s@#@ about the movie unless they've seen it so i think they should keep there mouth shut for once! IM SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS B%$^ damn they always bash on her like she's some f#$@ salad, People and critics should thank actors that do movie such as El Cantante b/c they work f#$@ hard to please everybody that they don't get the respect back. That all im saying

Come and Join our new Forum!
DMX36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links