JLOF - Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net

Welcome to the Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net forums!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles, and access to our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, access to the Media Center forums after your first few posts, the ability to earn 'points' and spend them, and access to many other special features and benefits! Registration is fast, simple, and free so join #1 largest Jennifer Lopez community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support and we'll get back to you.

Go Back   JLOF - Jennifer Lopez Forums / Message Board by JLo.net > Jennifer Lopez > Jennifer Lopez Discussion
Blogs Rules/FAQs Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Zhak
Jennifer Paparazzo

Male

Bank: 62,265.77
Total Points: 115,351.57
Donate
Thumbs up Jennifer Lopez received very good reviews for 'An Unfinished Life'

All reviews are taken from your favorite site featuring critic reviews: rottentomatoes.com

"Terrific performances by Redford, Lopez and Morgan Freeman" -- Jeff Strickler, MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE

"and Lopez gives a fine performance as the vulnerable, guilt-ridden young widow and mother." -- Paul Clinton (CNN), CNN

"all of the performances are pitch-perfect" -- E! ONLINE

"If Jennifer Lopez continues to surround herself with real actors of serious distinction like Jane Fonda, Robert Redford and Ralph Fiennes, then sooner or later something is bound to rub off. And so, for whatever it’s worth, she gives her strongest performance to date in the wonderful, beautifully crafted film adaptation of Wyoming author Mark Spragg’s brilliant novel An Unfinished Life. This is due in no small part to the living, breathing, three-dimensional performances of Mr. Redford, Morgan Freeman, Josh Lucas and an impressive little actress named Becca Gardner who embodies the soul of a mature woman in the body of an 11-year-old child. They make J. Lo stretch and focus and toe the mark. An Unfinished Life isn’t her movie—it’s a strong ensemble piece in which she contributes only one ingredient—but in it the pop icon shows off a great deal more than her well-publicized booty. She works hard, and the sweat pays off." -- Rex Reed, NEW YORK OBSERVER

"And, for the first time in years, Jennifer Lopez throws off the superstar cloak and gets back to basics. This is the best performance she has given since The Cell, and it recalls her early career, before she became a paparazzi darling. (One wonders if she did this film, with its opportunity to collaborate with a respected director like Hallström, in an attempt to rehabilitate her tarnished reputation as a thespian. Like Ben Affleck, she is still suffering from the fallout of her year of overexposure.)" -- ReelViews, James Berardinelli

"... It will have no respect for Jennifer Lopez, because she is going through a period right now when nobody is satisfied with anything she does(he's talking about why he believes a lot of critcs won't like her or the film)...And give Lopez your permission to be good again; she is the same actress now as when we thought her so new and fine." -- Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert

"Lopez, however, reveals a depth and subtlety that has not been evident since her early roles." -- USA Today, Claudia Puig

"Lopez manages to un-diva-fy herself and keep it real, or real-ish." -- Chicago Tribune, Michael Phillips

"Despite solid, albeit constrained, performances from Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez, Morgan Freeman and adolescent newcomer Becca Gardner, "An Unfinished Life" all too accurately lives up to its title." -- The Hollywood Reporter, Kirk Honeycutt

"While Lopez, Freeman and Lucas do solid work, it is Redford who seems to be having the most fun playing the crankiest geezer in town." -- Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan

"Jennifer Lopez is really good in this film" -- Ebert and Roeper, Richard Roeper

"And it's even good to see Jennifer Lopez dialing down her star wattage to credibly play an abused woman/single mom." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel Tracy Allerton

"Face to face with some stellar talent the woman (Lopez) more than holds her own." -- Palo Alto Weekly, Jeanne Aufmuth

"But outweighing this film's problems, which apparently held up its release, are the performances of its terrific cast...Lopez is convincingly maternal in scenes with Gardner and convincingly sexy opposite Lucas." -- Boston Herald, James Verniere

"At first Ms. Lopez seems to be trying conscientiously not to smile, as if that will suffice for appearing downtrodden. But eventually she shows evidence of effective dramatic competence." -- Philip Wuntch, DALLAS MORNING NEWS

"The cast is excellent. Lopez plays her supporting character with a surprising lack of vanity" Seattle Post-Intelligencer, William Arnold

"But Lopez, who covered similar ground in the abused-female revenge fantasy Enough, is at home with the material and gives a warm and uncluttered performance." Orlando Sentinel, Roger Moore

"Lopez does a fine job as Jean" -- ReelTalk Movie Reviews, Diana Saenger

"Lopez, too, tries to shake off the glamour image, and succeeds far better than in light comedies like Maid in Manhattan, where the results have seemed too calculated and self-conscious. She stumbles a bit in her big scenes with Redford, unable to trump his grizzled indifference with her desperate passion (which is what the scene calls for), but otherwise holds her own among far more established company." -- Baltimore Sun, Chris Kaltenbach

"The trio of actors - Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman and Jennifer Lopez - give solid performances" -- FilmStew.com, Kevin Biggers

"The cast is first-rate, with three solid lead performances by Robert Redford (2004's "The Clearing"), Jennifer Lopez (2005's "Monster-in-Law"), and Morgan Freeman (2004's "Million Dollar Baby")...Physical miscasting aside, this is Lopez's most raw and impressive performance since 2001's "Angel Eyes," proving again that she has a whole lot more talent than some give her credit for." -- TheMovieBoy.com, Dustin Putman

"An Unfinished Life is a solid movie with good acting performances...while Lopez is able to raise her ability to match up with the old, venerable vets. It's further proof she has some talent when properly challenged." -- WaffleMovies.com, Willie Waffle

"Lopez, nobody's idea of an acting talent, nearly pulls off her part equally well, summoning an authentic inner hurt, even if she can't quite let go of the glamour." -- Portland Oregonian, Shawn Levy - In this review he's saying Lopez is almost as good as Redford.

"And, surprisingly, I don't exclude Ms. Lopez in this. After such fatuous fare as "Gigli," "Maid in Manhattan," "Shall We Dance," and "Monster-in-Law," I actually enjoyed her tough and sexy presence in this company. I'm not forgiving her the airheaded, commercial credits in her recent past, but truth be told, she's just fine here, stern, steady, striving and contending against difficult odds." -- Variagate.com, Jules Brenner (FC)

"The other actors are so good and this is such an ensemble piece that Lopez manages to come off as sweet and unassuming in her role. She is not the center of the film but she adds to the overall flavor. She is pretty and powerful when she finally lets Jean reach her stride." -- jackiekcooper.com Jackie K. Cooper

"An Unfinished Life delivers one solid performance after another. Lopez, Gardner, Lewis and Lucas are all equally up to the task. Nobody falters in this movie and that is one of the main reasons An Unfinished Life is such a satisfying movie." -- Empire Movies, Brendan Cullin

"But it does help us take Lopez’s acting career a bit more seriously. A little bit. At least for now." -- Norman Transcript, Jim Chastain

"The other performers hold their own," -- Austin Chronicle, Steve Davis - here the critic is letting us know the other actors hold their own against Redford including Lopez

"Jennifer Lopez is just fine as the woman drowning her own guilt in abusive relationships. She doesn't overplay and is believable in her understatement." -- Reeling Reviews, Laura Clifford

"Lopez, surely impressed by such company, drops the smoochy star mannerisms of her work in "Jersey Girl" and "Monster-in-Law." Swedish director Lasse Hallstrom is awfully good with actors and maintains the detailed, watchful humanism of his "My Life As a Dog" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." -- San Diego Union-Tribune, David Elliott

"However, Lopez's performance as the battered Jean who takes herself and her daughter, Griff (newcomer Becca Gardner), off to live with her estranged father-in-law, Einar Gilkyson (Redford), is a far cry from the cartoonish silliness of Enough. It may not be brilliant – to begin with, her part isn't that well-written – but it's certainly credible within the confines of the film. And it would be more so without the script's stupidly trumped-up romance between Jean and Wyoming sheriff Crane Curtis (Josh Lucas, Stealth), which tends to make Jean look like she's just not complete without a man in her life (the script's worst miscalculation)." -- Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC), Ken Hanke

"Say what you will about Jennifer Lopez’ acting ability, or lack thereof. I liked her in “Shall We Dance?” with Richard Gere, and she more than holds her own here on the same stage with two of Hollywood’s long-time heavy hitters." -- Kaplan vs. Kaplan, David Kaplan

"As for Lopez, she's decent in an underwritten role as the tortured Jean, who finds an unlikely suitor in the dreamboat local sheriff (Josh Lucas)." -- Reel.com, Timothy Knight

"Lopez doesn’t overplay the material" -- filmcritic.com, Sean O'Connell

"The glamour that Lopez courts off-screen makes it easy to forget she is a fine actress. Always authentic as a working-class woman, Lopez can portray strengths and vulnerabilities within the same scene." -- Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL), Jeffrey Westhoff

"Played by Jennifer Lopez with an approximated Western accent" -- Advocate (Baton Rouge, LA), John Wirt

"but the actors manage to elevate the proceedings above and beyond shameless soap." -- Philadelphia Inquirer, Steven Rea

Jennifer Lopez Proud with Puerto Rican Flag

Welcome To Puerto Rico... <Click HERE>
Zhak
Zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
SoulSimon
Can U Donate Me Points?

Bank: 2,717.93
Total Points: 6,754.31
Donate
Thanks for news pal, Its nice to see Her gettin nice reviews
SoulSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
PauPower
Not A Single Word

Bank: 120,631.87
Total Points: 132,223.98
Donate
It's all good!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
jlopez009
jlo's shadow

Bank: 12,688.15
Total Points: 22,819.36
Donate
yea..JLO has been getting good reviews w/ AUL...i hope she keeps it up ..i know she will anyway..lol

.... don't be hatin' ., i'm just livin'!....

and i couldn't care less ...
jlopez009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
j.LOSoUL702
Mi LOLITA linda

Female

Bank: 1,720,853.41
Total Points: 1,728,264.67
Donate
yea Same Here. I Think She Puts Alot To It That She Deserves It.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
JLoFriend
Crazy Fan

Female

Bank: 1,404.00
Total Points: 1,667.46
Donate
Good to hear that ... so great news
Thanks for posting
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Love_me_4_ME
a.k.a. Little_Lo

Female

Bank: 1,168,521.10
Total Points: 1,177,644.35
Donate
We all know Jen did a great role in this movie!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Dahk
i gotta stay fly-i-i-i...

Male

Bank: 346,268.42
Total Points: 356,959.97
Donate
I hope she finally convince critics with AUL, BorterTown and El Cantante
Dahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Love_me_4_ME
a.k.a. Little_Lo

Female

Bank: 1,168,521.10
Total Points: 1,177,644.35
Donate
Finally no stupid comedy films! lol I love her in dramas!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
egle
Gold Fan

Bank: 4,314.00
Total Points: 13,167.85
Donate
i like this movie it deserves good review

If speaking my mind makes me a bitch then I guess that's what I am /XTINA/
(c) Monika (little_lo) ava (c) heartcore
egle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
j.LOSoUL702
Mi LOLITA linda

Female

Bank: 1,720,853.41
Total Points: 1,728,264.67
Donate
i really can't wait to own this movie.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
kira
The Artist

Female

Bank: 344,778.02
Total Points: 369,097.87
Donate
I'm getting this movie today,can't wait
kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Mikal
Say It Right

Male

Bank: 76,137.59
Total Points: 102,344.12
Donate
Wow they're really good reviews!!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
<3 Laura <3
Follower

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,191.70
Donate
I wonder when it comes out in the UK?
<3 Laura <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
PauPower
Not A Single Word

Bank: 120,631.87
Total Points: 132,223.98
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by <3 Laura &lt View Post
I wonder when it comes out in the UK?

It wont come out in the cinemas here, but you might be able to buy it on DVD soon, that's what I'm hoping anyway!